Why YOUR family's diet should include health supplements!
What are vitamins made of and why are they so important for your health?
Our bodies do not simply make vitamins, we need to ingest them ourselves through nutritional food and vitamin supplements. It is important that the brand of supplements you decide to take are not synthetic and have all sorts of other things added to them like flavouring, colouring, fillers etc.! The absence of certain vitamins or lack thereof in your diet can cause disease, poor growth, and a variety of serious health impediments.
How does GMO food compare to organic food?
The major difference, without getting too technical, is that GMO food has been genetically modified through a process to make another seed. While those involved in the process claim that there are no risks, some experts believe that eating GMO food can be harmful to our health and that, as the long term effects are not yet known, we should be extremely cautious about making GMO foods part of our regular diet. Some things which have been linked to GMO foods include increased food allergies, birth defects, toxin build up, lowered nutrition, as well as increasing the risk of cancer and abnormal cell development.
100% organic food (which is not genetically modified and doesn’t contain added toxins) is generally more expensive, resulting in us having to often consume conventional fruits, vegetables and meat which are filled with antibiotics and nasties. Vegetables grown organically have been shown to have a higher nutritional value, as well as higher levels of protective anti-oxidants. It therefore seems essential that all humans (and pets) these days should be supplementing with essential vitamins and minerals as part of their daily diet to enjoy a long healthy life.
How would I know if I had a vitamin deficiency?
As we are all so uniquely different to each other our nutritional make up and nutritional needs can differ slightly. It is highly recommended to use:
Daily Multi-Vitamins like:
- Solgar VM2000 for adults; contains all the essential vitamins and minerals required for a normal daily allowance dose
- Kangavites for children – Children go through many stages of eating and often do not get enough of what they require, especially while their bones and brain are developing and growing at such a rapid rate. It seems very essential that every child should be taking a daily vitamin supplement.
Common vitamin deficiency side-effects:
- Iron deficiencies result in the experience of brittle nails, anaemic diagnosis and generally a very weak overall feeling. It is suggested you supplement with:
- Solgar Gentle Iron and
- Solgar Ester C – vitamin C will help with the absorption of iron in the body.
- Bone fractures can be a sign of a lack of calcium. You can supplement with:
- Solgar Ultimate Bone Support – this is usually in people as they age and their bones get more fragile, as well as for menopausal women.
- Cracking at the corners of your mouth- could mean a lack of Vitamin B6 – we suggest you try:
- Solgar Megasorb Vit B Complex. Vegans often battle with the intake of Vitamin B from food sources so it is highly recommended for vegans.
- Poor liver and digestive health – supplement with
- Takka Organic Turmeric with Black pepper. Turmeric is also known to be brilliant for balancing cholesterol levels.
- Liver Thrive, a blend of herbal ingredients to support liver health.
Most of the Solgar range of supplements is vegan and vegetarian friendly and contains no added preservatives, colourants and flavouring!
The importance of Omega in your diet
The two essential fatty acids that the human body cannot produce itself are the essential Omega-3 fatty acid and Omega-6 fatty acid, which are important for:
- Brain development – so important for children!
- Immune system function
- Blood pressure regulation
- Hormonal balance
Omega is usually obtained from foods like Atlantic Mackerel, Salmon Fish Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Walnuts, Chia Seeds, Herring and Flax Seeds.
If you don’t consume enough of the above we recommend adding to your daily diet:
- Organic Flax Seed Oil – Rich in essential omega 3 & 6. You can add to smoothies, salads and veggies.
- Solgar Omega 3-6-9 supplement
It has actually been stated from many different sources that a healthy intake of omega can play an important role in the prevention of Alzheimer’s later in life.
We are learning more and more about the health benefits that we receive from plants & seeds. Thank you Mother Earth!
How can I introduce important nutrients and vitamins to my family’s diet?
Besides reminding your family to take their vitamin supplement every morning after breakfast you can somehow incorporate Superfoods Super Powders into smoothie mixes, yoghurts and cereals.
- Superfoods Chocolate Boost tastes exactly like chocolate except it’s made with FIVE Superfoods: Lucuma, Mesquite, Raw Cacao (so it contains no dairy), Hemp Seeds and Maca Powder plus TWO key medicinal herbs - Taheebo (Pau d'Arco) and Cinnamon (both known traditionally for their cell-protective and anti-cancer effects). Your child will enjoy this as an after lunch snack or in a smoothie for breakfast with yoghurt and a banana (high potassium levels).
- Superfoods Lucuma Powder which has a delicious citrus taste to support and strengthen the immune system and oxygenate the blood to maintain health & encourage body healing. Simply add to a fruit smoothie or yoghurt.
- Superfoods Vanilla Mesquite Powder contains Chia Seeds, Mesquite, Hemp Seeds, Lacuma and Maca Powder PLUS Astragalus in one delicious smoothie mix! This wonder powder is great for sport enthusiasts as it contains very high levels of protein and is also a great addition to a vegan diet! This is also an excellent powder to use when recovering from an illness.
What can you use to naturally clean fruit & veggies?
Simply rinsing fruit and vegetables with water doesn’t always remove all the nasties like pesticides, harmful bacteria, mould, viruses and yeasts so we recommend using organic Fruit & Veg Spray - non-toxic and by removing unwanted bacteria and chemicals you will find that your fruits and veggies will actually last longer. Plus you don’t want to be eating pesticides along with your health fruit & veggies!
Superfoods smoothie, dessert & food dish recipes are easily found on the internet. We would like to share one of our favourite Superfoods recipes with you using lucuma powder, do enjoy and try not to over indulge ;)
Superfood Toffee Butter Cups
1/3 cup melted Crede virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup Superfoods raw cacao butter
2 tablespoons Superfoods Lucuma powder
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
1/4 cup chopped raw unsalted cashews
3 tablespoons mulberries
2 tablespoons goji berries
- In a bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, cacao butter, lucuma powder, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Stir in the cacao nibs, cashews, mulberries, and goji berries.
- Spoon the mixture into mini silicone cups, and chill in the freezer until firm.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Need help? If you have any questions relating to any of the products we are always here to help and assist you in the best possible way.