Manage your pet's arthritis pain naturally this winter
People with arthritis will know how joint pain and stiffness worsens in cold weather, and the same rings true for animals. Just as our symptoms of arthritis worsen in winter and cold weather, the same happens to our furry companions.
While the actual reason that symptoms of arthritis amplify in the cold is unknown, there are various theories. What we do know for sure is that there are a number of things one can do to help dogs or cats as winter approaches, to prevent their joints from suffering in the cold.
Not sure if your pet has arthritis? Here are the most common symptoms to look out for:
Preventing and treating osteoarthritis naturally
While prescription anti-inflammatory drugs, including NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), cortisone and other prescription medications for joint problems can offer some relief, side effects can include digestive, heart, adrenal and kidney problems. Natural remedies have many decades of traditional and effective use in relieving inflammation and pain, without unwanted side effects!
These simple and natural suggestions could save your pet from a lot of pain this winter, and save you (and your pet) from a lot of worry!
1. Don't ignore injuries
If your fur baby sustains any type of injury at some point in their lives, take them to a pet chiropractor to realign their spine and prevent any further injury or secondary symptoms. Many cases of pet arthritis stem from spinal injuries or diseases.
2. Massage your pet regularly
Just as regular massage is highly beneficial for humans, the benefits apply to animals, too! Treat your pet to regular massages with this Buchu Natural Anti-inflammatory Moisturising Oil For Pets, to stimulate healthy circulation throughout their body, reduce inflammation and speed up cell regeneration. Regular massage also provides your pet with relaxation and an overall sense of well-being.
3. Encourage low impact exercise
Encourage your dog to swim (or do aqua-therapy) as a form of low-impact exercise. It will improve their cardiovascular health, range of motion, joint health and mobility!
4. Avoid over-vaccinating
Avoid over-vaccinating your pet! This is a controversial issue, so do your homework and research! Vaccines contain foreign particles and heavy metals such as aluminium and mercury which exaggerate an immune response. Along with an exaggerated immune response, chronic inflammation of the gut and body may be stimulated, which in turn may contribute to arthritis later in life!
The vet jury is therefore still out as to how often booster vaccines should routinely be given and we recommend that you speak with a holistic vet about what is best for your pet.
5. Supplement their dietAdding certain supplements to your pet’s diet can greatly reduce the risk of them developing any joint problems. Additionally, if your pet already suffers from arthritis, including these supplements in their diet can help reduce their symptoms drastically and naturally, without turning to prescription drugs:
- Joint Formula: Supports joint health naturally! Contains a blend of all-natural herbs and nutrients formulated to nutritionally support stiff, old or arthritic pets.
- MobiLive Pets: Natural herbal joint pain and stiffness relief for dogs and cats! It's an all-natural herbal anti-inflammatory formula that soothes arthritis symptoms, improved mobility and reduces inflammation.
- Diatomaceous Earth: Certified 100% organic supplement that supports joint, cartilage, blood vessel and bone health! Simply sprinkle over their food.
- Devil’s Claw: Added to food, Devil’s Claw is well-known as a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Omega Fish Oil: A highly concentrated, safe omega supplement for your pets, taken as a daily supplement for joints, skin and fur.
- Healing Organic CBD Oil: Formulated especially for pets! Improves vitality, reduces inflammation and joint pain, and reduces symptoms of aggression and irritability! May be mixed with food for easy dosage, or given in the form of Cannapaw CBD Pet Treats.
Crede Flaxseed Oil: Excellent source of Omega 3-6-9 to reduce
- Nat Phos Tissue Salts: Supports joint and kidney health. Relieves painful joints associated with pet arthritis. Lactose and sugar-free (diabetic, vegan & vegetarian friendly)!
- Arthro-Synergy Tissue Salts Blend: Regular use helps to ease pain, reduce stiffness & improve mobility in people and pets. Safe to use with other joint supplements as well as prescription drugs! Lactose & sugar-free (vegan, vegetarian & diabetic friendly).
If you have any pet-related questions, please contact us or leave a comment below for FREE advice. We always love hearing from you!