Recipe: Creamy Vegan Pea Pasta with Hemp Sauce
This mouth-watering vegan recipe gives you a meat-free, creamy meal that is packed full of nutrients! It’s notably high in plant-based protein, too. You can also get creative and add other ingredients like mushroom, sun-dried tomatoes and thyme.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 - 35 minutes
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped into quarters
- ½ cup sweet potato or butternut, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours, or overnight
- ¼ cup Hemp Seeds, plus more for serving
- ¾ cup veg stock
- ¼ cup oat/rice milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 servings pasta (gluten-free or whole-wheat)
- 1 cup green peas, frozen or fresh
- Fresh basil
- Chile flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Place sweet potato/butternut, onion and garlic on a baking tray. Drizzle the sweet potato/butternut, onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your preferred pasta according to the instructions.
- While your pasta is cooking, blanch the peas in hot or boiling water for a few minutes, until they are a vibrant green and just cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Add the roasted vegetables to a high speed blender, along with the remaining sauce ingredients. Blend on high until very smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Stir the sauce through the freshly cooked pasta, adding in the peas. Top with chile flakes, hemp seeds and fresh basil before serving.