Dr Oz says: The herb of the month is Ginger!
Did you know that Ginger is one of the most tested and researched herbs in the medical community?
The facts about Ginger:
- Ginger has been added to chai and Indian tea to help counteract some of the negative effects of caffeine.
- Ginger has been used in India for thousands of years to treat various ailments with great success!
- The three famous roles of Ginger are as a: digestive aid, anti-inflammatory, and immunity booster.
- Ginger stimulates the digestive “fire” letting the body release proper enzymes to break down food so nutrients can be absorbed!
- The studies touting the benefits of ginger are so vast, that many doctors recommend the use of ginger over prescription medications for nausea and digestive complaints!
- Ginger can help rid the body of excess gas (if your spouse tends to have frequent wind, introduce them to ginger!)
- Ginger has compounds called gingerols that reduce pain and increase mobility associated with arthritis and osteoarthritis (without damaging the gut like most conventional pain killers!).
- Ginger helps to cleanse the lymphatic system (which carries all toxins and waste out of the body) in this way it can help guard against infection… Ginger is the "go to" herb when you have a sore throat and a cold! It is a must-have food during flu season!
Dr. OZ Says: "During flu season or whenever I feel a cold coming on, I make ginger tea a couple of times a week to keep my immune system strong."
Create your own healthy juice bar at home and add this to your morning routine through the Winter months!
What you'll need:
1 banana, cut into chunks
1 cup ice cubes
1/2 cup bottled carrot juice
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2cm piece of peeled fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
How it's done: Puree all ingredients in a blender and enjoy!!