We deliver to your door!
How to make your own natural diaper cream
Soothing, nourishing and protective baby nappy rash cream recipe
Finding out that you're expecting a baby can be an exciting, happy and overwhelming experience. Fear can easily be mixed into the pot of emotions as you begin to worry about finances, parenting dynamics and preparations. One thing I was certain of, however, was that I wanted to raise my daughter in the most natural way possible. This included a natural birth plan, breastfeeding for as long as possible, and staying at home with her for as long as I could. For others, raising a baby the best way could entail very different decisions than mine (no judgement)!
One of my natural parenting decisions included avoiding chemical products and store-bought baby foods. This led me to do some research into formulating my own natural and organic baby diaper cream. Baby's nappy areas are super sensitive and deserve the best gentle care possible! After reading up on various natural key ingredients, I wrote out an easy, affordable and 100% natural recipe for the perfect baby diaper cream.
This recipe ensures maximum protection against moisture, nourishes the skin and prevents nappy rashes. My daughter did not get a single diaper rash! The formulation is easy to wash off your baby's skin and the product lasts for years. I made a batch about 1 month before my due date, and still have some left over - 3 and a half years later! The best part is that you can also use this natural diaper cream as an effective sunscreen! Find out how to make this wonderful product below - you'll thank me later!
- 1/4 cup raw unrefined Shea Butter
- 1/4 cup organic, cold-pressed virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons non-nano Zinc Oxide powder
- 1 tablespoon Bentonite Clay
- 3 drops organic pure Chamomile Essential Oil
- 2 drops pure Lavender Essential Oil
- OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon beeswax pastilles: I chose not to use beeswax as it can get a bit messy. It's also difficult to clean off cloth diapers and, of course, it is not vegan friendly!
- Mix Shea Butter and Coconut Oil (and beeswax if used) in a double boiler/glass bowl over a small saucepan with an inch of water. Bring water to a boil and mix until ingredients have melted.
- Remove from heat and add the Zinc Oxide, Bentonite Clay and essential oils.
- Stir ingredients together.
- Pour mixture into a container of your choice. I used little glass bottles with lids. Store in a cool place.
*As this natural diaper rash cream has a Coconut Oil and Shea Butter base, it can get runny under hot conditions. This is why it's important to use a container with a lid! However, this does not affect its effectiveness. If too runny, mix ingredients together and put it in the fridge to firm up again.
If you have any questions about your baby or motherhood, please contact our team or leave a comment below for FREE health advice. We always love hearing from you!