We deliver to your door!
Back to school 2021: How to protect your kids (COVID-19)
The new school year is upon us, and most parents have mixed emotions. On the one hand, it's scary for moms and dads to think about sending their kids back to school while there are increases in the COVID-19 cases globally. For this reason, it can be worrisome to think about sending kids back to school under current circumstances, and understandably so. On the other hand, school offers safe places for children while parents are working, and they support other important aspects of kids' health; physically, emotionally, socially and mentally.
Health experts have said that kids are less likely (although it's not impossible) to catch and spread the coronavirus, and are less likely to experience severe symptoms. Many cases amongst kids go unnoticed, or have milder symptoms than older or immunocompromised individuals. However, this does not eliminate the worry that parents (and kids) experience with the new school year up ahead. While many experts are saying that we cannot avoid returning back to 'normal' life, we are still encouraged to continue implementing safety precautions both at home and in the school place, for the benefit of the children, teachers and parents.
Let's take a look at how we can protect our kids (and others) as they return back to school in 2021, and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Basic safety measures to protect kids going back to school in 2021
It's up to the kids, parents and the schools to ensure safety measures are being followed in order to contain the spread of COVID-19. It has to be a concerted effort from all sides to implement policies and infrastructure to protect the health and safety of all parties involved in the school environment.
- Parents, kids and teachers regularly washing hands (preferably with warm water and soap) and cleaning surfaces both at home and at school
- Parents, kids and teachers wearing face masks, face shields or cloth face coverings
- Keeping kids spaced apart in classrooms
- Staggered schedules
- Grouping the same students and teachers together throughout the school day (teachers switching classes instead of the kids)
- Encourage your children to ask questions and express their feelings with you and their teachers
- Monitor your child’s health and keep them home from school if they are ill
- Cough and sneeze into a tissue or elbow and avoid touching your face, eyes, mouth and nose)
- Live a healthy lifestyle (looking after your health and well-being, getting enough exercise, living in sanitary conditions, etc.)
Most people have had the above-mentioned list drilled into their heads, but one important aspect of protecting yourself and kids from COVID-19 is promoting a healthy immune system. Social distancing, hand washing and other precautions can be taken in order to avoid the spread of COVID-19, but did you know that food and nutrition can play a role in reducing infection? Foods rich in vitamins and minerals are highly encouraged during this time, as well as plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Now is also a great time to start stocking up on superfoods! (CLICK HERE for a recipe to make a tasty superfood
smoothie that kids will LOVE!)
Stronger immune systems can help people fight the virus, and may help keep many out of the hospital, leaving room for those with more severe cases. Herbal remedies can play a part in strengthening the immune system and Feelgood Health has two of the best! KiddieBoost for children and Immunity Plus for teens and adults contain especially selected herbs to boost the immune system and can also be used as a natural antibiotic alternative.
Other potent immune boosters:
- Artemisia Capsules: This potent African herb is gaining much recognition for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19. Artemisia herb has many traditional uses, and is used for a range of ailments from coughs, colds, fever, loss of appetite, headache, earache and more!
- Sutherlandia Tincture: One of the most powerful African immune boosters and helpful in improving degenerative conditions and wasting away, improving well-being and supporting cellular and systemic health.
- Sutherlandia Capsules: Same benefits as above, just in capsule form.
- Ester-C: A highly bio-available, buffered form of Ester C and is an excellent choice to help to boost your immune system and fight against colds and 'flu. It will also speed recovery.
- Solgar Kangavites is a well balanced multivitamin and mineral supplement for children, making sure that kids (and especially picky eaters!) get all the important nutrition they need to stay strong and healthy.
What we know about the coronavirus
- Common signs of coronavirus infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough and shortness of breath and breathing difficulties (more severe but rarer cases can cause pneumonia, kidney failure and even death).
- While the illness is fatal for some, most of those infected will experience only mild, flu-like symptoms.
Note: Current evidence suggests that people with underlying conditions such as chronic illness are at higher risk of developing severe symptoms than people without other health conditions. If you or your child have any health risks, it's best to speak to a doctor and discuss whether it's safe for your child to go back to school or not.
Has COVID-19 impacted your child's focus or grades?
After all this disruption and anxiety, it is no wonder that many children are struggling to concentrate! Remember that natural remedies can help to calm a worried mind and improve brain health. Please CLICK HERE for our selection of concentration and memory remedies for children and adults.
Is your child coping emotionally?
Above all, it is also important to keep spirits up. Mental health plays an important role in immune functioning and Covid-19 has put mental health in the spotlight, with many people, including children, struggling with stress, depression and anxiety. Try to keep a positive outlook and focus on pleasurable activities that the family can do together. Outdoor exercise and play are great ways to achieve this. When depression and anxiety rear their head, don’t ignore them.
Sometimes we need an extra boost to improve our mental wellbeing. Browse our range of natural remedies for mental wellbeing, emotional stability, depression and anxiety - safely encourage a balanced mood and reduce stress!
If you have any question, please contact us or leave a comment below for FREE health advice. We always love hearing from you!