There is nothing more inviting and invigorating than entering a pleasant smelling space with essential oils either in a diffuser, burner, scented candle or potpourri, not over the top or offensive, just light and fresh! What a better way to do this than by creating your own essential oil infused potpourri? You can really have fun with this by adding your own beautiful stones, crystals, herbs, spices and any kinds of essential oils. Not only do potpourri creations look beautiful but they really do a fine job of releasing sweet smelling natural healing scents that can naturally uplift your mood and benefit your health in many ways.
How do essential oils work?
Breathing in the scent of essential oils activates the brain’s limbic system, which, among other functions, controls your emotions. The properties of these oils also stimulate your central nervous system, which monitors your internal organs and transmits signals to your glands and muscles. Different oils deliver different benefits. Some can help lift your mood, reduce anxiety, relax or energize you. Others can improve concentration, relieve pain, boost your sex drive and more. All you need to do is google which essential oil can help with a particular health condition and you will get the essential oil answer you are looking for.
Below are some ideas for making your very own potpourri. The nice thing with potpourri is that you can really allow your imagination to go wild. Using good quality organic essential oils is important, as not only do they retain their beautiful smells for longer but no-one wants to be inhaling toxic nasties in this amazing naturally healing air do they? You will be very surprised as to what chemicals go into conventional essential oils!
The process of drying fruit for potpourri is simple, and it takes very little time. Citrus fruits like oranges & lemons are perfect for potpourri because they retain their shape and colour when dried. Cut citrus fruits into thick slices. Place fruit slices on a wire rack. Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius for about two hours, turning the fruit slices every half hour. Leave the oven door open so moisture can escape. If the fruit is not completely dry after two hours, keep heating and check to make sure that the fruit does not burn. You can also dry out leaves and the peels of fruits using this method.
It is recommended to tie the bouquet of flowers in a bunch and hang them out to dry. This process could take a few weeks. After your flowers are fully dried out you can toss them in a bowl with a few drops of your favourite essential oils. Things like pieces of bark, leaves, stones, crystals, herbs (like cloves) can really add some beautiful contrast to your creation.
DIY recipe to make Flower Potpourri
- Any kind of flower will work, especially ones that already have strong scents, such as roses. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cover a sheet tray with wax. Cut the flowers from the stems right below the heads and place them on the tray, or remove individual petals and place in a single layer on the wax paper tray.
- You can now add some slices of citrus fruits, or tuck in springs of rosemary, lavender, or thyme to the mix. You can also add whole spices, such as cinnamon sticks, cloves, or allspice, which both look attractive and are wonderfully scented!
- Add 5 to 10 drops of your favourite essential oil/s to one tablespoon of water in a small spray bottle, and spritz the potpourri ingredients. Then pop the potpourri back into the oven.
- Dry in the oven for at least two hours, or until the flowers are brittle but not burnt. When the potpourri is ready, remove from the oven and give another spritz of the essential oil mix. Go wild with blends here – you can mix and try different essential oil blends!
- Once it is room temperature, gently mix the potpourri and place it in a bowl or small hessian bag. To refresh the scent, simply spritz with the oil water mixture.
We hope you have fun creating and making your potpourri. Potpourri can really make an awesome birthday or Christmas present for someone special! If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always here to help and advise the best natural ways for your better health.