Two of the most unpleasant side effects of conventional allergy medication is drowsiness and dependence. As if it's not enough to already feel at the mercy of the allergy itself, many medications then leave you feeling foggy and drained and completely reliant on eyedrops, nasal sprays and tablets. But what if there was a way to not only bypass these side effects, but to treat allergies MORE EFFICIENTLY, naturally? We're going to tell you how!
First - the dangers of conventional allergy medications
Allergies are usually treated with drugs called antihistamines. Antihistamines may be short acting or long acting and come in tablets, nasal sprays, inhalers, eye drops or syrups. Many doctors suggest that their patients use antihistamines to prevent allergies (even before the symptoms appear) as well as to reduce symptoms. Antihistamine drugs block the release of histamine in response to an allergen. This prevents the allergic reaction in the short term and helps to clear allergic reactions like sneezing, red, itchy and watery eyes and nose. However, antihistamines also often have unwanted side effects like drowsiness, heart palpitations, impaired concentration, etc. Because they often become less effective over time, it may be necessary to keep trying new allergy drugs to try and achieve the same therapeutic effect. Antihistamines can even make allergies worse in some cases.
Disadvantages of Antihistamines:
- Antihistamines may lose their effectiveness over time
- They can cause sedation and reduce concentration and increase the risk of motor vehicle and work related accidents
- They may thicken mucus secretions and increase the risk of bacterial infection and sinusitis
- They may make it more difficult for men with prostate problems to pass urine
- Other side effects include insomnia, nightmares, dry mouth, rapid heart beat, anxiety and agitation
- They should not be used with alcohol which can increase side effects
- Some antihistamines are not recommended along with certain antibiotics or prescription antidepressants
A Guide to Natural Allergy Treatment
There are many different 'natural' remedies on the market. Not all of these are as 'natural' as they claim to be, nor are all of them without their side effects. For example, many remedies contain Ephedra, also called Ma Huang - a herb which is often used to treat asthma and other respiratory conditions. Although Ephedra can be very useful in some situations, it should only be administered by a skilled practitioner. The use of Ephedra in over the counter preparations has been banned in some countries due to serious side effects which may occur. Other natural remedies may not be effective enough due to inferior formulation or failure to take a more detailed and scientific approach to the treatment of airborne allergies. Unfortunately this has meant that many people have given up on finding a healthy, natural approach to conditions like allergic rhinitis and hayfever.
Because allergies involve both local reactions (release of histamine and inflammatory compounds) AND immune functioning, treatment should be holistic and aimed at treating the whole person, rather than simply suppressing symptoms. There are effective natural alternatives to the synthetic antihistamine drugs which do not come with the same side effects and which also help to support, rather than weaken systemic health. In addition, it is important to support and maintain systemic health following a healthy diet, exercising regularly and avoiding things like smoking, alcohol and other substances which could weaken your system.
To address allergies naturally, effectively and safely, Feelgood Health has formulated TWO natural allergy solutions which, if used together, can help to prevent AND control allergies without the negative side effects of the conventional antihistamines. While AllergiClear is formulated to prevent the allergic reaction and strengthen the system, SOS Hista Drops offers fast on the spot relief for allergy symptoms like sneezing and red and watering eyes. Many of our customers, particularly those that suffer from persistent seasonal allergy attacks every year, find that beginning a course of AllergiClear BEFORE the allergy season strikes can prevent or greatly reduce allergy symptoms once the season strikes. Here is some more info on AllergiClear and SOS Hista Drops. Please let us know if you have any questions!
1. AllergiClear - a compound remedy containing herbal, homeopathic and nutritional ingredients known for their positive effect on preventing the allergic reactions to airborne allergens and improving respiratory health. Taken regularly, AllergiClear can help you to become allergy free and reduce or even eliminate your dependence on synthetic antihistamines with their troublesome side effects.
2. SOS Hista Drops - combining herbal and homeopathic remedies for fast, safe and effective relief of the major symptoms of hayfever and allergic rhinitis linked to airborne allergens. Manufactured in a fast acting tincture formula, SOS Hista Drops has been formulated as a fast acting on-the-spot remedy for acute allergy flare ups and can quickly clear all the troublesome symptoms of airborne allergies, while also helping to strengthen your system against further attacks. SOS Hista Drops combines natural ingredients known for their ability to maintain balance in the immune system and to support histamine levels within the normal range – supporting clear eyes, noses and easy breathing. Manufactured in a fast-acting tincture formula, SOS Hista Drops provides on-the-spot support when you need it. This safe and effective natural formula can be used by adults and children.
"Do you know what it is like to breathe in and smell freshly mown grass? Well I could never dare to do this or risk horrible runny nose and streaming eyes. All summer long I had to put up with sneezing, red nose and swollen eyes. I HATED it!!! Allergyclear has made a big difference to my life and I can really recommend it to anyone with an allergy to pollen and grass. Thank you for this opportunity to submit my testimonial and all your help and sympathy!"
– Freda Jane