Have you ever looked at the ingredients in conventional chest rubs and cough syrups? You will be quite shocked at what you are putting in and on your body (and that of your children).
For example, many chest rubs contain camphor, which is toxic if swallowed or absorbed into the body, keeping in mind that your skin is a living organism that absorbs up to 70% of everything it comes into contact with! In addition, mineral oils (petrochemicals) in most OTC chest rubs have been shown to clog pores and to be detrimental to skin and systemic health, often containing unwanted contaminants.
OTC cough syrups are another story altogether. Packed with sugar, preservatives and other chemical additives, they are really not what you need when you are trying to recover from a virus!
So next time you are about to pick up that cough medicine or chest rub, why not have a quick google at the ingredients on the label? I think you will be easily convinced to rather try making your own chest rub and cough syrup with natural ingredients that have been used for thousands of years in this way.
Below are some really easy recipes that you can try at home. Their ingredients have known healing properties and are sure to start helping you as quickly as you can make the recipes.
DIY Chest Rub
- 2 tablespoons Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons Organic Raw Shea Butter
- 4 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 4 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 4 drops Cedarwood Oil
- 4 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- On a double boiler melt the coconut oil and shea butter
- Stir in the essential oils
- Pour the mixture into a recycled glass jar and allow it to cool down completely before you use it
- Good Luck!
Did you know? Not only does lavender have an amazing calming effect, it also has the powerful ability to treat respiratory disorders and many other common health issues.
DIY Natural Cough Syrup
- ½ teaspoon organic cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger / organic ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Raw Honey
- ½ cup purified water
- Juice of half an organic lemon
- Mix all of the above ingredients together in a recycled glass jar
- Take 1 teaspoon as and when required
- Remember – This recipe contains honey so should not be given to children under 1 years of age
Did you know: Apple Cider Vinegar is known to create an alkaline environment that helps kill bacteria and viruses.
We are sure that you are going to enjoy making these easy recipes and we hope that they provide you with lots of relief – the way nature intended them to!
For any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always here to help in the best natural way.