How to be VEGAN in a world filled with meat
How to be vegan in a world filled with meat: We discuss some useful vegan alternatives for supplements, beauty products and foods to make things easier for you!
Why do people become vegan?
There are many different reasons why people decide to become Vegan. It could be for religious or moral reasons, health related conditions or many other personal reasons. The reality is you have decided to become vegan and this means a complete abstention from the use of animal products, particularly in food, and a kind of personal moral value that completely rejects the commodity status of animals. The obvious is goodbye to meat and animal by products, but don’t forget to include all your beauty and body products that could have any kind of animal or animal by product in them - honey, cheese, milk, eggs even beeswax! Even capsules in medicine are usually made from gelatin, which is an animal by product!
This doesn’t mean now that you can totally binge out on potato crisps either. Your body wouldn’t cope with that and you could stand the risk of developing serious health conditions. You want to become a vegan the correct and proper way so that your body doesn’t develop any essential nutrient malfunctions. We support your decision and would like you to become the best healthy and happy vegan in town!
Vegan-friendly vitamin and health supplements
The good news is that Feelgood Health has your back – ALL Feelgood Health and Feelgood Pets remedies are 100% vegan-friendly – including the capsules! In addition, all other brands of vitamins and health supplements stocked by Feelgood Health have a full ingredients list and are clearly marked as vegan-friendly – so you don’t have to worry! Here are a few suggestions:
- Vitamin B - This is an essential vitamin that many vegans miss out on and which is easily obtained from meat, dairy, eggs and other animal products – but not if you are vegan! The good news is that Solgar Megasorb Vitamin B Complex contains all the B vitamins you need and is 100% vegan-friendly – and a daily must-have for vegans! A wise addition to your diet would be Raw Organic Apricot Kernels. They are said to be one of the healthiest seeds in the world! Apricot Kernels are said to support cellular health and are used as a natural aid during cancer treatment due to high levels of Vitamin B17 (Amygdalin), Laetrile, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Calcium & Iron.
- Vitamin D - Foods high in Vitamin D include fatty fish like tuna, mackerel, and salmon. Foods fortified with Vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals. None of these, of course, is acceptable in a vegan diet! You can easily supplement with Solgar VM2000 which is a multi-vitamin supplement that contains essential Vitamin D amongst other essential vitamins required for healthy living – and completely vegan-friendly!.
- The chain of the 3 Omegas - Foods high in essential omega include mackerel, salmon fish oil, cod liver oil and herring. It is not that easy to find a vegan substitute for fish-based omega oils, but we have just the thing for vegans! You can easily supplement by adding Absolute Organix Organic Flax Oil to your diet. Take 2 teaspoons per day with meals, in a smoothie or over salad/veggies and keep your Omega levels where they should be – essential for hormonal and nervous system functioning!.
- Iodine – Foods high in iodine include kelp, cranberries, strawberries, organic potatoes, navy beans and bananas – yes bananas have high potassium content levels but a medium-sized banana contains up to 3 micrograms of essential iodine! Another excellent source of iodine is Spirulina – try Superfoods Organic Green Shake: The Green Alkaliser and feel your energy levels improve for the better!
- Iron – We know that meat contains iron but that doesn’t help a vegan! The good news is that there are many plant based sources of iron, such as nuts, seeds and green leafy veggies! You can also supplement with Solgar Gentle Iron – this formula is non-constipating so no need to worry about your bowel movements becoming irregular!
- Calcium – Foods high in calcium include seeds – (seeds are tiny nutritional powerhouses), beans and lentils, almonds, whey protein, sardines and yoghurt. Vegans usually incorporate fair amounts of calcium into their diet with different nuts and seeds. You can also add Solgar’s Calcium, Magnesium & Boron as a daily supplement
- Zinc - Pumpkin seeds. Not only are they extremely high in zinc, pumpkin seeds also play a role in the prevention of prostate cancer! Garlic, sesame seeds, watermelon seeds, squash seeds and chickpeas are all high in zinc.
As you can see from the above – nuts and seeds have become your new food friends!
Vegan friendly Tissue Salts
Tissue salts already occur naturally in the human body, which means that an imbalance or lack of certain ones opens the door for illness and disease. The problem is that most tissue salts on the market contain lactose – which is an animal by product! Not AllisOne Tissue Salts, however! These powerhouses of micro-nutrients are all packed in lactose free tissue salt tablets and are also sugar-free (making them vegan, vegetarian & diabetic friendly). Our most popular tissue salts from the wide range include AllisOne Immuno Synergy, which is a natural anti-allergy, AllisOne BioPlasma, which offers broad spectrum support and AllisOne Rescue Synergy, which aids in composure and stability. We stock all the tissue salts as well as some economical tissue salt blends. CLICK HERE for the full range.
What foods should vegans include in their diet?
As veganism grows so do vegan food options. There are even substitutes for things like biltong and cheese! You will be happy to know there is such a thing as vegan cheese and mushroom biltong which tastes just like biltong (well kind of – it’s chewy and delicious!) Superfoods have a large variety of nutritious superfood powders (vegan friendly) that can easily be added to smoothies and vegan food dishes. Our favourites include:
- Superfoods Super Shake Chocolate Boost which includes omega rich chia seeds (it tastes just like a chocolate milkshake – actually better!)
- Organic Hemp Seed Protein Powder - Excellent way of adding plant based protein to your diet.
- Super Shake Vanilla Dream is high in omega, protein and adaptogens which are a natural ally in dealing with persistent stress and fatigue because they work with regulating important hormones.
- And last but not least Organic Chia Seeds – these seeds are a must in your new diet, making them a complete food – they have high levels of protein, dietary fibre and omega 3 fatty acids.
Vegan-friendly beauty products
Not only do many beauty products like creams, shampoos, make up, etc often contain animal byproducts, but the majority of commercial beauty and hygiene products on the market are cruelly tested on animals. Who wants to look beautiful outside at the expense of the suffering of innocent animals? Definitely not vegans!
Luckily, Feelgood Health has a selection of vegan-friendly skin and beauty products that contain NO animal products and are NEVER associated with animal testing! When you are out shopping, be aware that many manufacturers try to disguise what is in their products by using ‘scientific sounding’ names. Here are a few to watch out for:
Common body product ingredients vegans should avoid
- Hyaluronic acid – Not all Hyaluronic acid is animal-derived. The very same ingredient can also be manufactured via bio fermentation. If you're in doubt about the source of hyaluronic acid, it would be best to check with the brand’s service team.
- Bee Products – honey, propolis, wax and royal jelly.
- Keratin - Keratin is a protein we have in common with our animal friends. The keratin you'll find in cosmetics is often derived from the hooves, quills, and hair of animals.
- Silk powder - Silk is an ingredient you'll find often in mineral makeup and sometimes in skincare products. Silk powder is used to provide colour, oil absorbency, and lubricity to your cosmetics. The process used to create silk powder may shock you! Silkworms are allowed to mature to pupation within their cocoons, and then the worms are dissolved in boiling water to create silk fibres. Sad but true!
- Bovine is one of the by-products of a cow and it is often used in food and beauty products in the form of gelatin. This ingredient can also be used in certain supplements so become aware and read your product labels.
It is therefore best to use products that clearly state they are vegan friendly or, if you are unsure, to use natural product ranges from trusted brands that clearly state exactly what is in them with no hidden long complicated chemical ingredients that can actually not even be pronounced let alone their origin deciphered! We can recommend Pradiance Natural and Organic Skin Care Range, Love My Hair Natural Hair Dye, Treemendus Natural and Organic hair shampoo, Earthtribe African Black Soap, The Natural Family Co Toothpastes, Absolute Organix Oil Pulling Oil, Soil Ugandan Shea Body Butter, Jozi Organic Natural deodorant and many more natural personal care products. Be very cautious and conscious about what you use on your skin. You will be amazed at what ingredients actually come from animals! (or are tested on them)
Just before you go, there are delicious vegan recipes out there! We thought we would like to share one of our favourites using Superfoods Organic Lucuma Powder. Lucuma is rich in vitamins and essential trace minerals.
Superfood Vegan Toffee Butter Cups1/3 cup melted virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup raw cacao butter
2 tablespoons lucuma powder
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
1/4 cup chopped raw unsalted cashews
3 tablespoons mulberries
2 tablespoons goji berries
- In a bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, cacao butter, lucuma, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Stir in the cacao nibs, cashews, mulberries, and goji berries.
- Spoon the mixture into mini silicone cups, and chill in the freezer until firm.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
“Your conscience is the measure of your selfishness. Listen to it carefully”. Richard Bach.
Need help? If you have any questions relating to any of the products we are always here to help and assist you in the best possible way.