Long before conventional medication became the norm, many people used essential oils for all kinds of common health issues. Have you heard of Frankincense? I am sure you probably have! These were used in Ancient times and date back thousands of years. Essential oils, in a nutshell, are concentrated aromatic compounds that come from plants. These compounds provide a variety of health benefits by supporting your body’s natural functions without the side effects associated with most chemical medications. In saying this, although they are completely natural, it is important to bear in mind that essential oils should always be used with a carrier oil like Rosehip, Olive Oil, Baobab, Neem even Organic Coconut Oil when applied directly onto the skin.
Ratio of essential oil to carrier oil for adults and children
- Adults – Do not use more than a 2% ratio. This means for every 30mls of your carrier oil you would use approximately 6 - 12 drops of essential oil, depending on your needs. Usually the less the better as essential oils are very concentrated!
- Children and the Elderly – Use half of the above dose you would normally use for adults
It is always suggested that you test a small section of the essential oil blend on the skin before applying it to other parts of the body, as some people could be allergic to certain essential oils. If you are allergic and experience a rash then simply apply some Colloidal Silver Gel to the affected area.
The best ways to use essential oils
- Most essential oils should never be taken internally as they are highly concentrated
- Inhalation through the nose – Drop a few drops of your essential oil in a basin of hot water and place your face over the basin - a bit like a face steam. Once inhaled, the tiny nerve endings found in the nose send an immediate signal to the brain to go straight to work on the systems that moderate our minds and bodies
- Topical use – When applied on the skin, the healing components found in essential oils are absorbed into the bloodstream through your skin’s pores, as well as through the olfactory system. It is important to apply the essential oil blend to pulse points as this is where your veins are closest to the skin’s surface and the essential oils will be absorbed quicker – a bit like watering a plant, you water the roots not the leaves and flowers ☺
Essential oils can be used for many common health issues
- Sleep – Lavender oil has been used for many years to calm and relax the body and mind. Apply a few drops with your carrier oil to the bottom of your feet, burner or diffuser in the room where you will be sleeping
- Detox – Lemons are knows to cleanse and detox. Add just a drop or two of Lemon essential oil to your bottle of water to detoxify your entire system. DO NOT exceed the dosage!
- Energize – We all have those sluggish days. Peppermint essential oil is known to help make you feel perky and full of energy. Lemongrass essential oil is also known to relieve fatigue and is a great ‘pick me up’. Apply the essential oil mix to your temples and feel the different immediately!
- Tea Tree essential oil is known for its’ cleansing properties and perfect for all things skin related! Be sure to keep this essential oil in your medicine chest for anything related to minor cuts, scrapes even slightly irritated body piercings.
- Respiratory issues - Spearmint essential oil and Eucalyptus essential oil help to clear sinus, chest and nasal passages. They have anti-viral properties and are is very useful in massage oils or steam baths to help colds & 'flu.
- If you looking for something to spark up feelings of love and your feminine energy, try putting some Ylang Ylang essential oil on your pulse points. This amazing essential oil is also known to help with hair growth and is a natural aphrodisiac.
- Clary Sage essential oil is for an excellent women’s therapeutic oil. It can be used to treat PMS and menstrual cramps and also for bronchitis and congestion. A few drops in your bath water will do wonders!
- Sandalwood Essential Oil is miracle oil that can be used for various health problems, including stress & worry. It is also the perfect anti-inflammatory and antiseptic and can even be used as an exotic oil.
The above are just some of the amazing essential oils out there. There are many many more that can be used in many different ways. Have a look at our full collection of essential oils and amazing essential oil blends and choose ones which could help you and your family in different ways!
We hope we have helped share some insight into the many benefits of how essential oils can improve your body and overall well-being. For any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us!